Monday, January 7, 2013

Madison Avenue Monday: Safe in Snow

I found this charming Ivory Snow ad in the January 1949 issue of Ladies Home Journal and felt a little solidarity with those who have snow at this time of year as it has been so uncharacteristically cold here over the past couple of weeks.  The ad is a little battered given that it was on the back cover so please forgive my amateurish retouching skills.  It was too cute of an ad not to share with you even thought there are obvious creases and marks.

I adore the model's slouchy knitting bag, but that gold belt is just to die for....
 

Yes--even your softest hand-knit sweaters are so wonderfully safe with gentle Ivory Snow care.  And you can PROVE it!  Just was your dishes with Ivory Snow--as millions prefer to do.  When you see how it pampers your hands, you'll KNOW it's extra kind to find woolens.


8 comments:

  1. Yup, because that's what I wear in the snow: gold peep-toe heels! My husband and I ate frozen yogurt outside yesterday reveling in the January weather and then realized how crazy we must have looked to the locals.

    I think you did a nice job retouching the ad. At a glance I didn't notice the creases. I have to learn to knit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I was wondering if someone would mention that! Good thing she's standing in Ivory snow!

      Considering how cold it is where you are from it must be positively summer-like to you here!

      And thank you for the compliment. Perhaps I'm starting to get better at photo-retouching.

      Delete
  2. You done good! And I love the classic cardigan/sweater set!!!! Wish I had the courage to try to knit myself a set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Becky! I guess I am getting better at it. And I will never have the skills or patience to knit that set! :)

      Delete
  3. This is lovely. Her outfit is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I just had to share it! Such a delightful image.
      Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

      Delete
  4. This is so beautifully elegant. I'm a brave dresser most of the time, but I'm not sure if I have the model-esque figure and height needed to pull off head-to-toe (save for the lovely gold belt) white like that (I adore the idea of it though!).

    Thinking of you and sending tons of happy Friday wishes your way, dear Collette,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful! I love the touches of gold and red.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.

If you have a question for me or would like a personal response, be sure to allow email replies in your Blogger profile or just leave your email address in your comment.

Have a great day!