Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Vintage Halloween, California Style


Here in the land of sun and starlets Halloween can be considered a major holiday.  When I was a kid we would dress up, go to school, and parade our costumes from classroom-to-classroom first thing in the morning. Of course we would have a Halloween party with lots of sugary treats in the afternoon.

I found these images of children playing in the schoolyard somewhere in California, circa 1953.  The costumes are just adorable:


via Flickr

Civic parades and beauty contests have also been a traditional part of local Halloween celebrations. These attractive ladies were probably wannabe Hollywood starlets and were contestants in the 1947 Halloween Slick Chick beauty contest in Anaheim, California:

via UCLA


And in the grand tradition of holiday parades, the city of Anaheim, California has held a Halloween parade every year since 1924.  Enjoy the montage of vintage images in this short two minute video:



Have a happy and fun Halloween!

4 comments:

  1. I adored dressing up for school, too. The idea that you could wear your costume to class was just so, so cool to my young mind. Even now, I put on my Halloween costume bright and early on the 31st and leave it on until my eyelids grow heavy come evening.

    Have a spooktastically marvelous Halloween, my dear friend!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see photos of this year's costume Jessica! And have a wonderful day as well!

      Delete
  2. Fantastic pics and that Video!!!! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you loved it Becky! It was quite the find. Have a fantastic Halloween!

      Delete

I love to read your comments! Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.

If you have a question for me or would like a personal response, be sure to allow email replies in your Blogger profile or just leave your email address in your comment.

Have a great day!