Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Fortunate Finds: Vintage View-Master Collection

Just so you know, I've decided to combine all vintage collections / thrifting posts by using the "Fortunate Finds" tag.  I'll still be participating in Vintage Thingies Thursday, but I also want to participate in other link parties as well!

Did you love your View-Master when you were a kid?  I really loved mine. So imagine my happiness when I stumbled over this vintage View-Master and my husband gave me the accompanying vintage reels as a gift:


The putty colored View-Master (it has seen better days) was produced and distributed by Sawyer and it is a Model G, which is the first series to be made of plastic rather than Bakelite.  Although the box has no date, it probably dates to a three-year span of 1962- 1965. 

I have two different Cinderella sets, one of which was produced for Disney in 1965 and features animation cells from the movie.

The single disk in the photo is much older, as the tiny blue accompanying booklet has a copyright date of 1946.  It is entitled, "Cinderella and the Glass Slipper"  and has only seven images. I love its uniqueness: the figures in the scenes are molded out of clay!

(Forgive the fuzziness of the following images.  I actually took the photos by holding my camera lens up to my modern View-Master so you could see a few of the actual images on the disks).

"Preparation for the Ball"

"Cinderella Dances with the Prince"

The other disk set features images of Paris and Montmartre by day and night.  It was produced by Sawyers but was marketed by Sawyer's Europe, and the language on the disks and the jacket is French.  It's possible that it may have been a souvenir for an American tourist.  It also dates from 1965:

"La Facade et La Place Du Parvis"  (Facade of Notre Dame)

This romantic image is entitled "Repas en Plein Air, Place Du Tertre" (outdoor dining)

I have a few modern reels as well, but this is the extent of my vintage collection so far.  So how many of you, dear readers, still have a View-Master?  I'm keeping mine forever!

12 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I remember mine! It was red and I love it!!! What a fun memory!

    XO
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I stil have mine somewhere I know I had it for many years and since I am a hoarder I bet its is in that somewhere place.I also got a red disney celebration one from oppy a few months back.I love them too/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved my cousins viewfinder and remember lookign at disney images through it! Em x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I definitely enjoyed the one we had. In fact, the new models are still neat to see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was watching a movie just the other, they had someone looking through one of those viewers in the movie. Made me think about them. Neat that you got the photos you did through the viewer. Turned out pretty good. When watching the movie the other day I was trying to recall how the pictures looked. Now, I remember. Love the Cinderella clay figures - and always loved the depth in the viewers. Enjoyed my visit! Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a note too. Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do remember. I a m amazed you were able to capture these images.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you all enjoyed this post.

    Jenn -- what movie were you watching? I'm curious!

    Viridian -- thanks for the compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi I am a new follower from blogfrog! Cute blog you have!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great fun having a vintage View Master collection. Nope, no View Masters here. I used to love looking at them. Enjoy yours!
    Hugs, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome Holly! Thanks for the compliment.

    I hope you have the opportunity, Jeanne, to look through a View-Master again. They are such great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You better believe I remember my View-Master. It was one of my favorite forms of entertainment for a long time. I only wish I still had some of my childhood toys.

    Thanks for linking to the party. I would love to have you join me each week, and your posts DO NOT have to be a travel BACK in time. Posts involving crafts, DIY, home improvement - pretty much anything - will work.

    By the way, I just joined you as a follower. ;)

    Blessings,
    Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember having one too! Most of my reels were Disney cartoons. I think I still have it somewhere around the house. You reminded me to look for it after so many years. Haha thanks!

    Francesca Slone

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.

If you have a question for me or would like a personal response, be sure to allow email replies in your Blogger profile or just leave your email address in your comment.

Have a great day!