Saturday, May 19, 2012

A Variety of Fortunate Finds

I went to two estate sales last week over the past two weeks because I knew that they had vintage sewing patterns.  Now you know I'm de-stashing but vintage patterns are a weakness.  It's not like I need more of them but it's so hard to pass them by....



As it's now estate and garage sale season I'm planning to keep a balance of going to one every so often and not every single week.

I found the cutest apron pattern, McCall 1279 from 1946:

   
I  had to hunt through a lot of scattered pattern pieces that were separated from their envelopes to find this one.  It was worth the extra effort.  I don't have an envelope or the flower transfer but it was still too cute to pass by.  Isn't the bib on View A unusual?  It's now on my list of sewing projects so you'll be seeing it sometime.


I miss the thrill of the hunt and the serendipity of finding an unexpected treasure.  I found about fifteen 1950s and 1960s vintage knitting patterns at one sale and some of the designs are just amazing.  You've seen some of the ads for them before as part of Madison Avenue Monday:



And I now have a cute 1960s-era tissue case for my purse (actually, the lovely Karen of Jenny and Pearl, found a whole set of these and was kind enough to give me one even though we had just met!  Visit her blog because she's having a great giveaway right now):



I found two yards of a very 1960s psychadelic  border print from Starward fabrics.  This is a photo of the lower border.  Amazing, no?



And I found this fabulous Glide-Tex pressing cloth from the 1940s is in perfect condition. I may even break out my iron and ironing board (how likely is that?)!  More about this one in an upcoming post because the how-to-iron booklet inside is so cute:



I couldn't post all of this sooner because this past week or so has been one of those unexpected weeks when I ended up being away from the blog . I have recurrent migraines and they keep me from sitting at the computer long enough to post or really do much besides check my email briefly.  And I have to wear sunglasses when I do that because of the light from the monitor!

Anyway,  what are you up to this weekend?  Are you going thrifting?  Or are you going to indulge in a little crafting time?  If you've got a project or a great find you want to share, I want to see it!  Join my new Flickr group and show us your stuff!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my help! Any patterns you plan to sell please let me know! My weakness is 40's, 50's and early 60's! Love love love the fabric too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh! i love your 'new' vintage fabric you found! great steal! following your blog now! check mine out if you'd like.

    maggie
    http://www.luniquelymaggie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooohh, what thoroughly fantastic vintage sewing pattern finds. It's been quite some time now since I actually found a vintage pattern in real life (as opposed to online), and think I would have swooned like a Victorian lady headed for a fainting couch if I'd come across all of these gems. Lucky you, sweet dear - hope you have scores of finds with your new vintage sewing patterns.


    Tons of hugs & joyful Wednesday wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.

If you have a question for me or would like a personal response, be sure to allow email replies in your Blogger profile or just leave your email address in your comment.

Have a great day!